5 Reasons You Need a Mentor
Hi, CEO MOMS! Whether you are new to starting a business or are already in the trenches you are in the right place to for business tips. If your goal is to be 100% self-employed chances are you would benefit greatly from having a mentor. Below we will discuss 5 reasons you need a mentor. You may have heard the quote, “give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime”. Having a great mentor or two who you have the opportunity to learn from is like being fed for a lifetime.
IMPORTANCE OF HAVING A MENTOR
Finding even one successful person who has actually achieved what it is that you are dreaming of is so important. This is a great reminder that accomplishing your goals are possible, so you should not give up. A really great mentor is someone who is successful or has experience in an area you are trying to tap into.
So how do you locate a mentor? Well, first I recommend starting close to home and within your current network. Begin with a relative, former professor, supervisor, or someone that you have a good relationship with. Inquire with them if it would be okay for you to talk to them about their business or their career. Express how excited you are to learn and grow in that particular area and hopefully, they are willing to take you under their wing. If not, don’t stop with them keep searching for someone to learn from.
Once you are afforded an opportunity to meet up with or speak to your mentor over the phone, keep in mind their time is very valuable. Don’t waste time and be prepared. You will want to ask them some pertinent questions.
Start by printing off our TOP 10 QUESTIONS TO ASK MY MENTOR sheet.
If you are not able to easily connect with someone in your life to be your mentor, it will be necessary to venture out. As you research your particular industry or niche, you should take notice of who has pioneered in that area, who is considered successful and who is willing to teach or offer online information. Keep in mind that even if you never meet these influential people in person, they can still be considered your mentor. Also, find out what books they recommend on business or read the books they have written. This is another important activity that you should include in growing your business and your brand.
DO NOT COPY YOUR MENTOR
Before I continue, I would like to remind you not to copy your mentor exactly. For example, if your mentor is the owner of a Beauty Salon. You should not have the same or similar name, color template, logo, location, or advertising lingo, etc. Copying is unethical and demonstrates a lack of integrity which can border the line of copyright infringement and frankly you could be sued.
Unfortunately, in this society, there are people who will try and copy someone else and take credit for work they did not do. For this reason, some successful people are very reluctant to share their pearls of wisdom with people whom are not vetted and are not willing to work or pay for the information.
5 REASONS YOU NEED A MENTOR
- YOU DON’T NEED TO RE-INVENT THE WHEEL. This is one of the most priceless reasons why you need a mentor. Having a mentor can give you a quicker pathway to success than having to start from scratch. Through their experience, they may have developed systems or training that will make it easier for others to follow in their footsteps.
- LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES. Mistakes often will cost you a lot of money but under the guidance of your mentor, you can learn from their journey. Your mentor will share with you the up’s and downs but more importantly the mistakes they made. This insight is priceless. Mentor’s are capable of giving you a glimpse into their day-to-day operations.
- HAVE A KNOWLEDGABLE PERSON PROVIDE YOU FEEDBACK. There will be times you will want feedback or constructive criticism about your venture. Only someone who has gone through the same journey will understand what you need.
- BUILDS CREDIBILITY. Since you don’t have as much experience or any experience in the particular area, people may be reluctant to spend with you or utilize your services. By having a mentor in the industry this can build credibility and trust if your future customers are familiar with your mentor, especially if you get a recommendation or have some verification that you are affiliated with them.
- ABILITY TO SEE THE FINISHED PRODUCT. You are able to see the potential fruits of your labor and where your hard work can take you. Seeing the finished product through your mentor’s eyes and seeing the respect they may receive in the industry should be highly motivating for you.
As a business owner of a health career training center, I have benefited by having multiple mentors. I have learned so much over the years and they are just an e-mail or phone call away. As a new blogger, I am a part of a Facebook network of other bloggers from a variety of experience levels. This is another great way to locate a mentor or other like-minded people who are willing to share information and provide encouragement.
Good luck on your journey ladies!
Let me know in the comments if you have ever had a business mentor and how it benefited you. Please don’t forget to subscribe so you don’t miss out on future freebies.
Also, below check out a book co-authored by one of my personal mentors
Dr. Tracy McClelland “Jump-Start Your Success”